Friday, September 17, 2021
Oct. 5-10 Line-Up Released
Celebrates 20 Years of Laughter
Award-winning TV stars, homegrown talent and the return of The Debaters anchor a hilarious lineup Oct. 5-10, 2021
For two decades Winnipeg comedy fans have gathered every spring to laugh along with the country’s top talent. But throughout the early half of the year, Winnipeg Comedy Festival organizers wondered if their 20th year would even happen at all.
“We were unable to hold our regular spring festival this year,” says Executive Director, Nick Kowalchuk. “The thought of a 20th year without a festival was something we didn’t want to contemplate. We’re thrilled the fall presents an opportunity for us to welcome audiences back into our venues, and we’re set to celebrate with a really stellar lineup of performers.”
On October 7, 8 and 9 at the Burton Cummings Theatre, celebrity hosts and 30 of Canada’s hottest stand-up comedians take the stage for five gala shows being taped for CBC Television.
- Priyanka, the winner of Canada’s Drag Race Season One, will host YOU DO YOU, a gala celebrating individuality. Gala Tickets on sale now.
- Baroness Von Sketch Show star, Aurora Browne with her husband Kris Siddiqi to host LOVE LANGUAGES, a light-hearted look at relationships. Reserve your seat.
- Workin’ Moms star, Ryan Belleville hosts a show about all the ways we manage stress called CREATURE COMFORTS. Reserve your seat.
- Aba Amuquandoh from the long-running hit show This Hour Has 22 Minutes, hosts HOME MOANERS, a hilarious exploration of home ownership. Reserve your seat.
- Aisha Brown, star of the Crave TV-special, The First Black Woman Ever, hosts TRUTH TO POWER, a show for anyone who’s ever felt like they’re a David in a world of Goliaths. Reserve your seat.
As a special 20th anniversary treat, all gala tickets (normally $35) are only $20. Reserve your Gala ticket here.
“Winnipeg comedy fans are the best comedy fans in the country,” says Artistic Director, Dean Jenkinson. “We wouldn’t be here without them, and this is a small way to give them a huge thank you for two decades of support.”
New to the festival lineup at the Gas Station Arts Centre is The Tim Gray Talk Show (October 5) with Winnipeg comic Tim Gray, and Battle Royale (October 9), a competition between teams of comedians, with host Mike Green, a long-time Winnipeg performer and show producer.
You asked for it, and it is back! The Dark & Dirty Show, Saturday, October 9. The name says it all! This is a show with no boundaries that pushes the threshold in every way.
Can’t decide on which show to see? We’ll decide for you. Best of Fest, Sunday, October 10, where we bring you an unforgettable highlight reel of celebrity guests and comedy all stars from this year’s festival.
CBC Radio’s hit show, The Debaters – always a fan favourite – returns to Winnipeg for the first time since 2018, with four live tapings at the Gas Station Arts Centre October 6-9.
“It’s so great having The Debaters back after more than three years,” says Jenkinson. “I couldn’t be more excited – not just for Winnipeg audiences who’ve been waiting to see Debaters favourites like Derek Seguin, Séan Cullen, and Nikki Payne in person again, but also for richly deserving home-grown Manitoba talent like Chad Anderson and Matt Falk, who get to make their Debaters debuts in front of a hometown crowd.”
Kowalchuk says fans can be assured the festival will provide the safest environment possible. “Our venues meet or exceed all provincial guidelines. Patrons will be asked to show proof of double vaccination and seating will be limited to 50% capacity. We look forward to a festival when our venues are once again 100% open to all patrons.”
The Festival is grateful to all the sponsors, staff, artists, volunteers, and its production partner Frantic Films – as well as Winnipeg’s amazing comedy fans.